Another year of UFC action is well underway, with fans eagerly awaiting Conor McGregor’s highly anticipated return to the Octagon and several major title fights. McGregor, who remains the face of the sport, has been absent since July 2021 when he suffered a leg injury. However, he is scheduled to face off against Michael Chandler later this year or early next year. In the meantime, new stars have emerged in the UFC, captivating audiences with their performances.
One of the biggest fights of the year so far took place in February, when lightweight champion Islam Makhachev defended his title against featherweight king Alexander Volkanovski. Makhachev narrowly won a decision on Volkanovski’s home turf in Australia, solidifying his status as a top contender in the division. In March, former light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones made his highly anticipated move up to heavyweight division after a three-year absence. He submitted Ciryl Gane in the first round to claim the title vacated by Francis Ngannou in January.
In March, British fighter Leon Edwards successfully defended his welterweight belt with a decision win over Kamaru Usman in London. This victory came seven months after Edwards won the title from Usman with a stunning head kick. April began with Israel Adesanya reclaiming the middleweight title by knocking out long-time rival Alex Pereira. Adesanya had lost the belt to Pereira in November, so this victory was a redemption for him.
There are many more exciting fights and events scheduled in the coming weeks and months. Here is a list of some of the upcoming fights in the UFC:
– Saturday 5 August – UFC Fight Night in Nashville, US: Cory Sandhagen vs Rob Font (bantamweight), Jessica Andrade vs Tatiana Suarez (women’s strawweight), and more.
– Saturday 12 August – UFC Fight Night in Las Vegas, US: Vicente Luque vs Rafael dos Anjos (welterweight), Khalil Rountree Jr vs Chris Daukaus (light-heavyweight), and more.
– Saturday 19 August – UFC 292 in Boston, US: Aljamain Sterling defends the bantamweight belt against Sean O’Malley, Zhang Weili defends the women’s strawweight title against Amanda Lemos, and more.
– Saturday 26 August – UFC Fight Night in Singapore: Max Holloway takes on “The Korean Zombie” Chan Sung Jung in a featherweight bout, Anthony Smith fights Ryan Spann in the light-heavyweight division, and more.
– Saturday 2 September – UFC Fight Night in Paris, France: Ciryl Gane faces Sergey Spivak in a heavyweight fight, Manon Fiorot fights Rose Namajunas in the women’s flyweight division, and more.
– Sunday 10 September – UFC 293 in Sydney, Australia: Main event and matchups yet to be announced.
– Saturday 16 September – UFC Fight Night in Las Vegas, US: Alexa Grasso challenges Valentina Shevchenko for the women’s flyweight title, Kelvin Gastelum fights Shavkat Rakhmonov in the welterweight division, and more.
– Saturday 21 October – UFC 294 in Abu Dhabi, UAE: Islam Makhachev defends his lightweight title against Charles Oliveira, Paulo Costa faces Khamzat Chimaev in the middleweight division, and more.
– Saturday 11 November – UFC 295 at Madison Square Garden in New York City, US: Jon Jones takes on Stipe Miocic in a highly anticipated heavyweight title fight.
These are just a few of the exciting matchups that fans can look forward to in the UFC. As always, fight cards are subject to change, but these events promise to deliver thrilling action and showcase the talent and skill of the fighters in the Octagon.